Friday, January 6, 2012

TWRP: The final chapter...

If you haven't seen the blog post from TeamWin (http://www.teamw.in/blog/15), then you should read that first.

So let me start by being happy for TeamWin. TeamWin is an innovation incubator. As Vividboarder points out, they started with WiMAX. When they were done, they delivered all the code to the main CM tree. Once in the mainline tree, anyone and everyone can improve and port it. This gave all AOSP ROMs WiMAX, not just CM7. And the team moves on to innovate in other areas. It was the HDMI project that I joined up with TeamWin, and we proved you could have a great HDMI experience with the EVO 4G. But I'm not like the rest of the team. I'm more of a "product" guy. So while the team again moved on to bring new innovations, I stayed behind and worked on HDMI more. But ultimately, that project ran it's course, and the EVO 4G is now more a historic device than an active device.

So TeamWin has announced they are discontinuing TWRP. I'm fairly certain that if I weren't already continuing the work on it, as well as working on a next-generation recovery based on what I learned, they would have continued to support it. But that's not what TeamWin excels at. It excels at bringing new innovation to the community. And it's a waste of talent to slow them down on sustaining engineering.

What does this mean for people who love TWRP? It means that all those features will still be available and supported, albeit under a new, undecided name, until Phoenix is ready. And the TWRP theme engine will be improved, and my best effort to maintain backward compatibility for everyone. I'm a product guy. I want to build products and make them solid and stable. I failed everyone with TWRP2 and it's bugs and instabilities. We were feeling pressure to release it, and wanted the world to get to play with it. But the reality was, it wasn't ready for all the devices we released it for.

I am sorry.

I take full responsibility for that decision, since I was ultimately calling a lot of the shots (which again, is part of the conflict that came up between the rest of the team and myself). I've been asked not to use the original graphics, so I'm in the process of generating all-new graphics for the continued support builds. But this won't change the functionality. And even Phoenix will fully support restoring TWRP backups, so don't worry about losing your existing backups with any of the upcoming changes I'm making.

How can you help? Well, I'm going to need device testers going forward. But please don't volunteer below. When I get closer to ready, I'll be using Rootzwiki to help sign people up, and build a testing team.

And finally, I want to address a few people directly with some parting thoughts...

kevank: You run an amazing set of servers. I'm sure the team will never suffer from growing pains with you at the helm.

shift: Graphics are your thing, but you have more potential in you to own the whole user experience. Think of it as interactive art, and you'll make some truly incredible things.

toastcfh: There isn't much I can complement you about that the community as a whole hasn't already expressed. You are a one-of-a-kind developer, a true believer in free software almost to a fault. And while this whole fiasco has caused more chaos in a less-than-ideal time, know that I'm still fighting for you, and wish you the best. But don't waste your time being a support monkey, you're so much bigger than that. Show the world the power of their devices, and let others support it while you move on to amaze the world again.

vividboarder: It was a real pleasure working with you. You're a great developer, and if you keep at it, you'll be designing complex software soon enough.

dees_troy: First, sorry for getting you caught up in the middle of the fiasco. I underestimated the collateral damage my departure could make. Second, you learn incredibly fast, and your eagerness to grow and learn set you apart from a lot of seasoned developers. Don't lose that. With 21 years of C programming, I still find myself learning from everyone I work with, including you.

onicrom: Thanks for all the help you gave. Developers are never an easy bunch to deal with, and you were very helpful. I owe you a Galaxy Nexus build of TWRP. I snubbed the device a bit, and I shouldn't have. Because that meant I snubbed you a bit, and that's not fair.

eyeballer: You and Onicrom made the Nook Color builds work. Yeah, the developers may have written the code, but you guys did a lot of the homework and testing. It was appreciated.

s0up: Didn't get to work with you for long, but your enthusiasm definitely made you stand out. I'm sure you'll continue to do great things for the team, as you already have.

assassins_lament: TWRP was initially your baby, and given the baseline you had to start with, you did a great job. Sorry we didn't get to work on much of it together, but you made a lot of users very happy.

big_biff: I know you worked more with dees_troy than me, since I couldn't get on IRC during the day. Most of the work I did was tossed over the "wall" to dees_troy to have tested by everyone, so I didn't get the direct interaction. But you were always quick with humor and fun to be around. Thanks.

dkelle4: We really didn't interact much, again because I wasn't online all that much. But you definitely livened up the chat. Even when you weren't there.  ;-)

myndwire: Near the end, I didn't really get to talk with you much. And in the beginning, it took a bit for me to realize myn and myndwire are *not* the same person. But it was a real pleasure being on the team with you and your input and help during my earlier projects.

netarchy: It was great meeting you at the BBQ, and your kernels are unparalleled. If there's ever anything you need from me to make your kernels shine, just ask.

spiicytuna: None of my work would exist without your help. Thanks to you, Windows is now my secondary OS, not my primary. I never would have developed half the software I did without your contributions. And you put up with me and my mood swings. I appreciate that. I'm sure we'll work together again.

shinzul: You started it all, so it's fitting that I end it with you. I met you trying to find a way to help with WiMAX, and you gave me the chance to work on HDMI. While you haven't been around much lately, you are still considered by most to be the "head" of TeamWin, and I thank you for the numerous opportunities you gave me. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Classy and respectful, Agrabren! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a classy dude and can't wait to see what you bring to the table. Maybe the NEXT TeamWin.

    ReplyDelete